Why is this an essential job?
Let us break down some of the reasons:
- Part of the revenue generated by clothes collection helps the continuity of our programs by providing jobs for students.
- It’s environmentally friendly! A collection container saves about 10 tonnes of CO2 per year.
- Benefits markets in Africa – 40% of donated clothes are shipped and sold in markets, generating a profit and helping the local communities.
In Norway alone, we have around 800 containers, many of which are filled with top-quality clothes, which translates to finer pieces for buyers (ideal for business!)
Undoubtedly, it comes with deep questions of how we act as a society, how consumer capitalism is rooted in our daily lives.
We should continuously ask ourselves:
- Do I truly need this new item or this a spur of the moment desire?
- Can I reuse/repurpose something I already have?
- How can I reduce my carbon footprint and act towards a greener planet?
Perhaps, we need to take a moment to consider how we, as a society, can change collectively?
Think twice before buying. Give a new purpose to clothes you no longer use, offer them to a friend or donate them, using one of our many containers.
Each and every one of us is responsible for the waste we produce, we can be more mindful and improve our habits to fight climate change and work towards a better planet – one who is not compromised for present and future generations!
- Buy second hand! You can do it at one of the 55 Humana shops spread around the globe!
- Apply the 3R’s on a daily basis: Reduce – what you buy!, Reuse – what you have! Recycle (donate) – what no longer serves you!
- Avoid contributing to the fast fashion industry – vintage is the new cool, anyway! 😉
- Take quick showers! Water is one of the most precious things we have – use it wisely!
- Use alternatives to plastic! Nowadays, there are options like bamboo, glass, wood, and reusable produce bags.
- Cut down the carbon emissions by reducing your energy usage – turn off the lights once you leave the room, the planet will thank you!
- Plant trees! Fun fact: did you know trees have their own network, communicating their needs and sending nutrients to each other? How cool is that?! Besides, more trees mean less carbon dioxide and more oxygen – overall, a healthier world.
- Spread (environmental) awareness: not only hold yourself accountable but those around you, your friends, your colleagues, your government representatives. We are all responsible for the future of our planet and together we can save it!